TGIF! We are celebrating with our most nominated female, Jennifer Burks. Some words used to describe her were fearless, driven, motivated, innovative, inspiring and loyal. Burks balances a full time position at Lincoln Financial Group while being the co-founder of menswear brand Weft with friend Kurt Souder. Find out below how this super woman likes to spend her Fridays and why she would be Batman if she could.
Name: Jennifer Burks
1) What neighborhood in Philadelphia do you call home? Rittenhouse
2) Tell us about what you do professionally: Account Manager for Enterprise Firm relationships with Wells Fargo and UBS at Lincoln Financial Group. Co-founder and Designer of Weft; a progressive men’s contemporary ready to wear brand, based in Philadelphia
3) What makes you happy? Spending time and laughing with the people that mean the most to me
4) Who inspires you and why? My mother. She is a highly educated professional single parent, who was determined to provide her child with the best education and teach her a love for horses, the arts and travel. Meanwhile, she secretly battled Scleroderma without our lives skipping a beat. She showed me how to handle faith and determination gracefully. She also always reminded me to “never let them see you sweat.”
5) What’s your biggest regret and why? I don’t like to regret anything. Any disappointments or negative outcomes were learning experiences that made me a stronger woman. If I were to regret ANYTHING, it’s passing on an unreal pair of heels.
6) What is your life motto? Be you, the world will adjust.
7) Name a guilty pleasure: Playing polo. As addictive as drugs, and twice as expensive.
8) On what occasion do you lie? Why lie?
9) What’s in your purse right now? Umbrella, pumps for work, gum, keys, sunglasses, work blackberry, personal phone, earphones, passport, alligator skin money clip, old hotel key, keys to apt, 3 lipsticks, collar stays, a fabric swatch, notepad and pen, silk scarf, loose change
10) What is your greatest extravagance? Vacations. You have to disregard budgets and treat yo self on vacation.
11) Where is your favorite travel destination? Marbella, Spain and taking the ferry to Tangier, Morocco.
12) How do you take your coffee? Strong. Soy milk and two Splendas.
14) What is your favorite magazine? W Magazine. It’s insightful, artistic, and has a fresh outlook.
15) What advice would you give your 20-something self? Don’t let other’s doubt affect your confidence to believe in yourself and be a leader.
16) Where can we find you on a Friday night? I never know where Friday is going to take me. Playing it by ear is the best part!
17) What motivates you? The desire to fill a need and create something bigger than myself. To build from the ground up.
18) What’s something unique that we can find on your desk or around your work-space? A glass evil eye pendant a close friend brought back from Pakistan
19) What’s the best relationship advice you’ve ever gotten? A healthy and happy relationship is one where two independent people who love each other make a deal to help the other person be the best they can be.
20) What’s your favorite thing about Philadelphia right now? Awesome food scene. A great place to start a business. A lively and tight-knit design community.
21) If you could be any superhero, who would you be and why? Batman. He doesn’t have any super powers. He’s driven by his vigilante will. He also happens to drive a bat mobile and have an alter ego of a jet-setting billionaire…
22) Do you have a fashion icon? Diane von Furstenburg. She is a highly respected designer who reclaimed her brand after creating a classic that’s known worldwide today. She created a new silhouette that is based in ease and wearability; the basis of Weft.
23) If you could go back to one decade in history, which one would it be and why? 60’s to understand how revolution sparks positive change and evolution. How pop culture effected political and social change.
24) Where’s your favorite place to eat? Fitler Dining Room
25) How do you stay sane balancing your life and career? Meditating. It helps me quiet my mind, even just for 20 minutes. Taking time out of the day to be with loved ones and reset.
26) What’s your favorite drink or cocktail? Manhattan, Up, with Maker’s Mark
27) What is your favorite movie? Sabrina (both versions). The perfect young heroine story!
28) Tell us about an embarrassing moment you recently had: Whatever it was, I played it off!
29) What’s your favorite app right now? Duolingo for Portuguese
30) If you could, what would you say to yourself fives years from now? Keep going!
#30Over30PHL is a month-long series highlighting Philadelphia’s most ambitious women. Created in collaboration with Melissa Alam of Femme & Fortune and Alex Kacala of Fayme Problems. #30Over3PHL is being presented with support from Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia.