Today’s pick is a woman who defines the role of do-gooder in everything she does. Katherine Sprissler-Klein’s work with the Human Rights Campaign, both in Philadelphia and nationally, is nothing short of inspiring. With charisma, professionalism, and passion, she works tirelessly to make the world a better place. We are thrilled to feature her on this rainy Monday!
Name: Katherine Sprissler-Klein
2) Tell us about what you do professionally: As with most fundraisers, you don’t realize it’s a career until it’s your own. It’s a great fit for me, though. I’m a professional extrovert! I love connecting people to the right opportunities to have them make the most impact. I’ve spent 12+ years in the non-profit sector raising money for some of the most worthy causes in the world. From women’s rights to disaster relief to LGBT equality to hunger relief, knowing I’ve done my part to make the world a better place helps me sleep at night.
3) What makes you happy? When my dog Bindi (a pocket pitbull mix we adopted from One Love Animal Rescue) snoozes happily on my lap.
4) Who inspires you and why? Joan Lau, my colleague on the Human Rights Campaign Board here in Philly. She is a force of nature. I admire her commitment to equality while balancing work, family, friends and more.
5) What’s your biggest regret and why? My husband and I took a sabbatical in 2012, and spent eight months traveling the world. We visited over 25 countries and decided to skip visiting India. It seemed too daunting, too big, too hard. I regret this every. single. day. That was the one instance we had the time and flexibility to see such a large, diverse country and we missed it. All of it.
6) What is your life motto? Life is better with a feathery headpiece.
7) Name a guilty pleasure: The Salty Pimp at Big Gay Ice Cream.
8) On what occasion do you lie? To protect my pride (see example where I fell down the stairs…. “I’m fine!”, I said. Liar. Ouch.)
9) What’s in your purse right now? Two varieties of altoids, wallet, iphone, headphones, iphone cord, an uncharged portable charger, a good luck charm, purple moleskine notebook, an Indego brochure, an errant dog treat and three lipsticks.
10) What is your greatest extravagance? Travel. I get itchy if I don’t leave the country at least once per year. We just came back from a long weekend in Tulum. Last fall we went to Scandinavia and Ireland. You can read about our eight-month adventure around the world on our very stale blog banhmiandyou.wordpress.com.
11) How do you take your coffee? 1% milk and stevia.
12) Where is your favorite travel destination? Istanbul. The food, the people, the view– it’s unlike anywhere else.
13) What is your most treasured possession? Raquel Vallejo, a fabulous creature and a former boss of mine makes jewelry in between being an art influencer, fundraiser and cultural ambassador. She made a few pieces for me, but along with one she gave me a rose quartz good luck charm. I carry it with me everywhere.
14) What is your favorite magazine? GRAZIA. A UK-born magazine now available in 17 countries. It’s a great mix of feminism, news, art, fashion, culture. My BFF in London used to send me bulk shipments until my husband got me an international subscription for my birthday. BEST. GIFT. EVER.
15) What advice would you give your 20-something self? Broadening your horizons is the best investment in yourself you’ll ever make.
16) Where can we find you on a Friday night? On my apartment building’s roof deck.
17) What motivates you? A “healthy” dose of fear, tenacity and stubbornness sprinkled with the need to “do things the right way”.
18) What’s something unique that we can find on your desk or around your workspace? I co-chaired the HRC Greater Philadelphia Gala Dinners in 2014 and 2015 alongside the amazing Marvin Rocha. I have a large signed foam core pretzel from the 2014 committee. I look at it every day and smile.
19) What’s the best relationship advice you’ve ever gotten? Pick your battles, especially about housework. We are still worthy humans if there are dishes in the sink. RELAX.
20) What’s your favorite thing about Philadelphia right now? So many great places to have a drink outside! I am eagerly awaiting the PHS pop ups.
21) If you could be any superhero, who would you be and why? Veronica Mars. I wish I was that sassy, smart, observant, and quick on my feet.
22) Do you have a fashion icon? I adore Janelle Monae and her mix of black and white.
23) If you could go back to one decade in history, which one would it be and why? The ’20’s. I love art deco anything.
24) Where’s your favorite place to eat? I’m spoiled for choice in my neighborhood. Townsend is a particularly nice treat. We took my mom there for her birthday (hi mom!).
25) How do you stay sane balancing your life and career? I’ve always enjoyed a bleeding between life and career. Donors become friends, friends become donors… it’s the circle of life! I think it’s important to bring your full self to work.
26) What’s your favorite drink or cocktail? I love an Aviation, a blue-tinged mix of gin, maraschino liqueur, crème de violette, and lemon juice.
27) What is your favorite movie? I’ve seen The Devil Wears Prada approximately 40 million times.
28) Tell us about an embarrassing moment you recently had: About an hour before writing this (and a huge press conference at work) I may have fallen down the stairs in our lobby. In front of a large crowd. And had to fill out workers comp paperwork. Before 9am.
29) What’s your favorite app right now? I’m really loving Headspace for a little mental clarity.
30) If you could, what would you say to yourself fives years from now? Don’t be so hard on yourself.
#30Over30PHL is a month-long series highlighting Philadelphia’s most ambitious women. Created in collaboration with Melissa Alam of Femme & Fortune and Alex Kacala of FaymeProblems. #30Over3PHL is being presented with support from Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia.