Happy Thursday everyone! Today we have the wonderful Melony Roy, a media queen with a knack for social media. We loved reading her nomination, and how she “climbed the ranks at KYW Newsradio to now build the most-followed social media brand in all of CBS Radio News Stations Group, surpassing stations in much larger markets such as New York, Los Angeles and Chicago.” #Hustle
Keep reading to learn about her guilty pleasure in life, how she takes her coffee , and why she thinks we should all act like ducks!
Name: Melony Roy
1) What neighborhood in Philadelphia do you call home? Old City
2) Tell us about what you do professionally: I supervise KYW’s Twitter, Facebook, and other interactive media branding efforts. In addition to creating much of the interactive content on the station’s social media platforms, I also inform listeners through on-air reports covering social media trends, breaking news, and interactive media’s influence on their daily lives.”
3) What makes you happy? Traveling
4) Who inspires you and why? I love strong women who are not afraid to speak their mind and live in their truth.
5) What’s your biggest regret and why? No regrets, only lessons learned.
6) What is your life motto? Be like a duck. Calm on the surface, but always paddling like hell underneath.
7) Name a guilty pleasure: Shondaland… I will watch anything she writes, produces, and creates.
8) On what occasion do you lie? I’m a really bad liar so I try not to. I don’t have a good poker face.
9) What’s in your purse right now? iPad, iPhone, recorder, mic, chargers, notepad, makeup… basically my life!
10) What is your greatest extravagance? My shoe collection
11) Where is your favorite travel destination? The Caribbean
12) How do you take your coffee? Cream only
13) What is your most treasured possession? Jewelry my mom and grand-mom have given me.
14) What is your favorite magazine? Vogue
15) What advice would you give your 20-something self? Relax
16) Where can we find you on a Friday night? Happy hour or my couch
17) What motivates you? I just try to be a better person than I was the day before.
18) What’s something unique that we can find on your desk or around your workspace? A framed photo with a chart of KYW’s Twitter growth that has a picture of me in the middle with a cake when we hit 20,000 followers.
19) What’s the best relationship advice you’ve ever gotten? Don’t make someone your everything because when they leave you’ll have nothing.
20) What’s your favorite thing about Philadelphia right now? Pop-up parks, beer gardens, and summer festivals.
21) If you could be any superhero, who would you be and why? Wonder Woman for the outfit alone.
22) Do you have a fashion icon? Michelle Obama
23) If you could go back to one decade in history, which one would it be and why? 90’s for the music from Nirvana to TLC.
24) Where’s your favorite place to eat? El Vez
25) How do you stay sane balancing your life and career? I’m still working on this one.
26) What’s your favorite drink or cocktail? Blood Orange Margarita from El Vez or The Clover from Ashton Cigar Bar.
27) What is your favorite movie? You’ve Got Mail
28) Tell us about an embarrassing moment you recently had: can’t think of one…
29) What’s your favorite app right now? Twitter
30) If you could, what would you say to yourself fives years from now? Continue to follow your bliss.
#30Over30PHL is a month-long series highlighting Philadelphia’s most ambitious women. Created in collaboration with Melissa Alam of Femme & Fortune and Alex Kacala of Fayme Problems. #30Over3PHL is being presented with support from Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia.