And we’re off to a new season of highlighting amazing women in the Philadelphia area, otherwise known as #30Over30PHL. To start off our 30 days of fabulous female profiles is an amazing mentor, business woman, and role model. Antoinette Johnson of Philadelphia branding agency At Media is not only gorgeous on the outside, but her genuine and authentic personality is one you’d be lucky to meet in this lifetime. Read on to learn more about Antoinette and stay tuned for a new profile each day for the next 30 days!
Name: Antoinette Marie Johnson
1) What neighborhood in Philadelphia do you call home? Rittenhouse and Point Breeze
2) Tell us about what you do professionally: I am the owner of At Media, a branding agency with the vision to improve urban landscapes through the power of thoughtful design.
3) What makes you happy? Inspiring others and leading teams. Also impromptu dance parties.
4) Who inspires you and why? My mentors on my advisory board inspire me to do better. Our team mates inspire me to work harder. My mentees (Melissa Alam!) inspire me to share and be more transparent.
5) What’s your biggest regret and why? I regret each time that I did not listen to my intuition sooner. When your instincts are telling you something, it’s important to look at the tiny red flags you have collected and listen. We have a saying in our office now “Go into the wilderness of your intuition”. Because naturally we all have the ability to know what’s best for ourselves and the things we care about most.
6) What is your life motto? Speak from the heart.
7) Name a guilty pleasure: Dancing and singing in front of the mirror.
8) On what occasion do you lie? I am a big proponent of faking it until you make it. During my college career, entering into the professional workforce and building a company; I did on the backbone of taking on projects I was not qualified for. Embellishing your experience to highlight your abilities to me shows that you believe in yourself. There is a fine line, and some of course can’t live up to their promises, but if you can – go for it!
9) What’s in your purse right now? Band aids for my blisters from heels. 7 different types of rose colored lipsticks. A press release for approval. Business cards collected from last night’s networking gig. A bottle of Claritin that spilled open during this pollen storm.
10) What is your greatest extravagance? The interior design of my office and home. I am very good at sourcing inexpensive furniture and accessories, but overall, I do not skimp on my environment.
11) Where is your favorite travel destination? Fiesole, Italy. A small town slightly north of Florence where I stayed on an olive farm for two weeks and fell in love. But I’m going to Ibiza this summer so that might top it!
12) How do you take your coffee? Black. Unless there are natural cane sugar cubes – those are amazing!
13) What is your most treasured possession? Nothing material. Only relationships are worth treasuring.
14) What is your favorite magazine? It’s silly but I am obsessed with Elle magazine’s horoscopes online. I swear the most impactful year of my life was guided by my Elle horoscope.
15) What advice would you give your 20-something self? Fear only perpetuates itself.
16) Where can we find you on a Friday night? Twenty Manning, Parc, Trestle Inn. That’s the latest circuit.
17) What motivates you? My mother’s advice, care and hard work motivates me to keep going whenever things are tough. And never letting my team down.
18) What’s something unique that we can find on your desk or around your workspace? Duross & Langel oat and honey moisture cream. I’m obsessed with that store!
19) What’s the best relationship advice you’ve ever gotten? Look through his credit card receipts.
20) What’s your favorite thing about Philadelphia right now? The development of projects that serve to improve the lifestyle of Philadelphians. The timing right now for Philadelphia is in such alignment with our company’s vision, it’s reassurance that our intuition was spot on. Keep on building Philly!
21) If you could be any superhero, who would you be and why? Whatever superhero can read minds.
22) Do you have a fashion icon? I aspire to mix a Maria Menounos look and Boho collective. Doesn’t always work but hey, it’s all about trying.
23) If you could go back to one decade in history, which one would it be and why? The 70’s. I would just love to go without a bra for a decade.
24) Where’s your favorite place to eat? Charlie Was A Sinner. Just love how they surprise you and the cocktails are lovely.
25) How do you stay sane balancing your life and career? Being honest with my staff helps me feel like my career is my life, but in a good way. When shit falls apart in your personal life, you have something successful to keep you going in work. When things fall apart at work, you have friends there to help out. I think once I realized my life is my career, but not like the person who takes it home everyday but the one who believes in it as strongly as her own life – that’s when the vision became its strongest.
26) What’s your favorite drink or cocktail? Pina Colada when in a tropical place. Sidecar when getting turned up. Strawberry Moscow Mule on a Saturday.
27) What is your favorite movie? I will always love Mary Poppins.
28) Tell us about an embarrassing moment you recently had: Went to a staff members birthday dance party at the Dolphin on Broad Street, and may or may not have done the worm on their nasty dance floor…
29) What’s your favorite app right now? Daily Horoscope
30) If you could, what would you say to yourself fives years from now? “I’m glad you kept dreaming.
And damn girl, you are one smart cookie!”
#30Over30PHL is a month-long series highlighting Philadelphia’s most ambitious women. Created in collaboration with Melissa Alam of Femme & Fortune and Alex Kacala of Fayme Problems. #30Over3PHL is being presented with support from Hard Rock Cafe Philadelphia.