When life gives you lemons…use them to create some all natural cleaning products for around the house! (Okay, maybe make yourself a gallon of lemonade first.) There’s nothing like the fresh lemon scent of a clean home without the after-scent of chemicals, so enjoy some easy-to-make concoctions below for your home. You might be surprised at just how many benefits there are with lemons!
1) Garbage Disposal Cleaner
– Place sliced lemons into ice cube mold, add vinegar and freeze. Every few days, put a few cubes down the garbage disposal and dissolve.
2) Whiter Clothes
– Add one cup of lemon juice to your laundry soap to get whiter whites!
3) Rust, Mineral Deposits, Soap Scum, & Water Spots Remover
– Cut a lemon in half and rub on cutlery and faucets to remove rust, mineral deposits, soap scum, and water spots.
4) Shiny Shoes
– Your leather shoes looking dull? Buff your shoes with a lemon juice cloth to give your shoes a new shine.
5) Sanitized Cutting Board
– With all of the summertime dinner parties with your friends, make sure to keep your cutting board sanitary by rubbing half of a lemon on the board, letting it sit for 20 minutes, and then rinsing under water.
6) Cleaner Microwave
– Caked on food residue and odors in your microwave can be removed by heating a cup with ¾ water and 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice to boiling and leaving the cup in the microwave for 10 minutes. Wipe away the food particles easily with a cleaning cloth and leave open to dry.
7) Grill/Grate Residue Remover
– Make a mixture of lemon juice and salt and scrub onto the grill/grates to remove residue.
8) Plastic Container Stain and Odor Remover
– Forgot about some food in a container that got pushed to the back of the fridge, but don’t want to throw out the container? Soak the container in diluted lemon juice and baking soda. Once odor, stain, and residue seem to disappear easily, scrub, rinse and dry.
9) Unclogged Drain
– Take care of minor clogs before they become a bigger issue. Every other week, unclog your drain by mixing baking soda and lemon juice and running water to create a foam that pushes the clog through.
10) Windows & Mirrors Cleaner
– Add 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice in a spray bottle with water and use as a cleaning agent for a better view!
Inspired? Now sit back, relax and enjoy your clean, new, lemon-fresh home thanks to a few handy yellow delights! If you have any other lemon-friendly cleaning ideas, let us know below in the comments. For further research on the many benefits of lemons, take a look at this article by HealthAmbition.com!